Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Whole Foods Haul

I may have spent slightly too much money yesterday. You know, just slightly.



But you see, it's all okay, because it's delicious!




No, wait, that's probably not a very prudent philosophy to adopt in my newly brokeass state.

Here's what I got (horrifying prices and all):

2lbs of strawberries - $4.99
2lbs of cherries - $9.93 (this was an accident--we thought it was $4.99 per bag)
Hummus - $2.49
Spinach dip - $2.99
2 packages of butternut squash ravioli - $3.69 each
Vegan cheese substitute - $4.49
Avocado and cucumber sushi - $6.79
Izze pomegranate sparkling juice - $4.49
2 jars vegetable pasta sauce - $1.99 each
Brown rice - $3.99
Whole wheat macaroni - $1.99
Whole wheat spaghetti - $1.39
Coconut flour - $6.49
Coconut oil - $6.99
Arrowroot flour - 6.49
2 cans of coconut milk - $2.49 each
Baking soda - $1.99
Snap pea crisps - $1.49
2 bags of pita chips - $2.19 each

A few of these items are for specific projects (the coconut flour, coconut oil, coconut milk, arrowroot flour, and baking soda), a few are going to be given away (the duplicate raviolis, pita chips, pasta sauce, vegan cheese, and half the hummus and spinach dip), a few more are "staple" items (fruit, rice, pasta), and everything else was purchased primarily because it looked good.

Speaking of looking good, check out these strawberries!
 



These were $3 cheaper than two pounds of the same brand at my local grocery store, and believe me, the ones at the grocery store barely look edible.

As gorgeous as the produce is at Whole Foods, I have two teeny tiny complaints:
1. It's not vegetarian. That's not really a problem, but for some reason I forget to check for "hidden" meat at Whole Foods. I made it out okay this time, but last time I was there I grabbed a couple of things without checking first.
2. It's freaking expensive! I spent twice what I typically spend in a weekly trip to the store. It's probably a good thing the nearest store is an hour away or I'd never stash away any money!

Do you shop at Whole Foods? What are your favorite products?

No comments:

Post a Comment