Saturday, February 2, 2013

New Years Resolutions (I'm only a little late...)

I just found this post squirreled away in my computer and realized I never posted it at the beginning of January like I had planned, so here you go. Better late than never, right?


I've never been big on new years resolutions, but I do like to keep hopes and goals in mind when starting a new year. These hopes and goals aren't necessarily within my control, but it's more about sitting down and thinking about where (or who) I'd like to be in another 365 days. It's about what I want to be able to say I did in 2013.

To show you what I mean, here are a few:

1. I want to learn to drink. 

My 21st birthday is in August, and I've decided not to drink until then (with the exception of the one LEGAL drink I had while in Canada), and once I can, I want to learn to do it well. I want to learn alcohols, I want to try new recipes, I want to find a favorite bar, and I want to have the best hangover remedy of all my friends.

2. I want to find a boyfriend.
I'm not one of those chicks that has no sense of self without a man in her life, but I'm ready for a relationship. I realize this one isn't completely in my control, but it's nice to think about.

3. I want to save more money.
I just started working full time six months ago (before that I doubled-up my part-time jobs and made squat), and I've been enjoying having spare money. While I still want to buy the extras that make me happy, I also want to start building my savings account. I'd love to set aside an extra 2,000 this year, but I'm probably going to need some car repairs before the end of the year, so I'll settle for anything over $1200.

4. I want to keep better tabs on my money.
Speaking of money, I want to keep better track of where I spend my money in 2013. I may have let my checkbook register slide onto a back burner at some point during the year, and I don't want to let that happen again. This year, I want to keep a record of where I spend all my money so that I can can get a better idea of where I'm wasting a little too much and adjust that so I can put more money in savings (see above).

5. I want to get out more.
I love my couch, and I love my roommate, but I've got to get out more. It sucks being the guy at the water cooler on Monday morning who says, "Yeah, I had a great weekend too. There was a Scrubs marathon on!" It's time to live a little while I have the opportunity. There will be plenty of chances to sit on my ass and be unproductive later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment