Friday, July 19, 2013

DIY All-Natural Toothpaste Review and How-To

In an attempt to detoxify my bathroom I brought my brother over to whip up a batch of healthy homemade toothpaste.

I took to the internet and read up on a variety of DIY toothpaste recipes. I combined a few of them and gathered my ingredients.




We decided to use coconut oil, baking soda, and essential oils. Many of the recipes also include sea salt, but because I didn't have any (and I'm not entirely convinced sea salt is the miracle substance its hyped to be) we omitted it.

 
   


We made a single batch of of orange flavored toothpaste (3 tablespoons of baking soda, 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, and ten drops of orange essential oil) and a double batch of peppermint toothpaste (6 tablespoons of baking soda, 6 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 25 drops of peppermint essential oil).


  


We mixed everything up and toted our new toothpaste into the bathroom. We each scooped a little onto our toothbrushes (he tried the orange, I tried the mint) and started brushing.

Approximately four seconds later we started spitting into the sink.

This stuff is DISGUSTING. Absolutely terrible. I'd rather brush my teeth with shampoo. Not kidding. I will NEVER try this again. We were both very disappointed (me especially, since I used up the last of my flouride-packed store bought toothpaste this morning) and decided the only remaining use for this goop was to play a prank on our most accessible nuisance: my roommate (just kidding--I love my roomie). He was a very good sport about it but just as repulsed as we were.

Have you made your own toothpaste? Have you had better luck than we did? Please tell me your secret!

No comments:

Post a Comment