Thursday, June 20, 2013

Got Grammar?

Hello Internet. How are you? I am fine. I am also an idiot.

I stumbled upon a very embarrassing discovery yesterday.

Got is not a word.

Yes, that's right. You read me correctly.

Got is not a word.

Oh, sure, it's in the dictionary, but I find that more of a joke than anything else. (BTW, did you know the word "gullible" is not in 97% of American dictionaries? Not even kidding!)

Do you think got is a word? If so, I challenge you to use it in a sentence. You know, a sentence with proper and efficient grammar.

Example:
 "I just got a new puppy."

Correction:
 "I have a new puppy."

Example:
"She got old."

Correction:
"She grew old."

Example:
"I got my hair cut yesterday."

Correction:
"I had my hair cut yesterday."

Example:
"I got sick."

Correction:
"I was/am sick."

Example:
"Got milk?"

Correction:
"Dost thou possess that which flows from the bovine's udder?"


You know what's even worse than "got"? "I've got." Do you realize that "I've" means "I have"? Do you realize that saying "I have got" is absurdly redundant? Do you also realize that saying "I have got" is a waste of time, considering that saying "I have" was most likely all you needed to say to convey your point?

It's like asking "Where is it at?"

Oh, great goblins, the gramatical horrors that surround me!

I think I shall go eat my lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment